[sword-devel] ESV TESTERS PLEASE READ

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 18:41:06 MST 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Don Bedsole wrote:

> On Friday 05 May 2006 19:54, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> Did you try to see if they are duplicated on swordweb?
>>
>> http://crosswire.org/study/passagestudy.jsp?mod=ESV
>
> First, please forgive me Troy for not following your original
> instructions,
> and for causing you to waste some of your time.  I did not check
> sword web as
> you told us to.  This is not a good start to my beta-testing career :(
> I was wrong.
>
> Second, please help me with this clarification question.  Is it
> possible for
> the ESV sword web version to be ok, but for there to be a technical or
> content related problem with the ESV module? In other words, if the
> sword web
> version is ok, then we would assume the ESV module is ok.  Right?

I don't think so. HTML rendering is very forgiving of content errors
that some other front-end may have a problem. Two quick examples,
characters that are tolerated in HTML might me an error in XML.
Second, HTML swallows adjacent non-markup whitespace. Other front-
ends may not.

What we can assume is that if the sword web presents it badly, then
there is a problem that needs to be fixed. My guess is that the sword
web has the most recent version of the SWORD API and what shows up in
a 1.5.8 release candidate might have already been fixed.