[sword-devel] tip about RTF/HTML control

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 07:33:50 MST 2006

Fabrizio Lanza wrote:
>  Hi,
> yes, I was referring to the  Sword gui front-end. But I saw that there
> are installation files for Linux also. Thus I thought it was not using
> win32 specific components (riched32.dll, etc.). I did not have a
> chance to try Sword under Linux. Do you perhaps know how the issue was
> solved there?
I can give a partial answer:
The C++ Sword API is ported to various platforms (Window, Mac, Linux)
and this is used on those platforms to create a front end. That is the
code for each front end is platform specific.

There are some efforts currently underway to use cross platform widgets
to create a front end. When that is completed, it may be possible to use
the same frontend code on Win, Mac and Linux.

Each of these frontends may have their own strategy for rendering the
text to the user.

JSword is a Java implementation of the Sword API and BibleDesktop the
gui built with it runs on all platforms on which Java runs. This
implementation does not use RTF at all. Rather it converts the modules
to OSIS and then that to HTML. The HTML is then displayed by a Java
widget that can display HTML.