[sword-devel] [OT] Looking for Quechua bible

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Aug 26 13:52:52 MST 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 11:12:07AM -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> fredex wrote:
> > I apologize up front for the OT posting....
> >
> > I have a friend who is a native Quechua speaker (Incan indian from Peru)
> > and she would very much like to have a Quechua bible, a real paper bible.
> >
> > I believe Wycliffe has done such a translation, but have been unable to
> > find anyone who can provide an actual paper copy of it.
> >
> > Can any of you offer any advice/direction?
>
> Hi fredex!
>
> Hmmm... Wycliffe/SIL's website is indeed very aggrivating to navigate.
> Here's what I could find and the path I took to get there (in case my
> path inspires other search paths for you).  Note that Wycliffe and SIL
> are closely related organizations sharing... uh... everything.  SIL is
> the education/research arm, and Wycliffe is the missionary organization.
>
> You might want to start with their ethnologue and identify which
> dialect/language group your friend speaks.  See here:
>
> http://www.ethnologue.com/language_index.asp?letter=Q
> and
> http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PE
>
> It lists publications, but I don't see any bibles.  Apparently these are
> just SIL publications (that they sell or have available).
>
> Wycliffe's FAQ on their website
> (http://www.wycliffe.org/wbt-usa/Bibles.htm)  give some info about how
> to find scriptures in a language, but it appears that the scripture
> resources thing is out of date.  What's notable is that they said that
> they don't sell bibles, but work with bible societies and publishers in
> the region where sold.  So, you need to find the bible society
> (publisher) who publishes the translation you need.
>
> Googling, I found Luke here:
>
> http://www.andes.org/bible/luke1e.html
>
> Info here:
>
> http://www.wycliffe.ca/wordalive/archive/2006spring/HTML/ex_cusco.html
> which lead to:
> http://www.biblesociety.org/bs-per.htm
>
> With contact info for the Peruvian Bible Society:
>
> http://www.casadelabiblia.org/
> info at casadelabiblia.org
>
> Anyway, long story short, I suggest:
>
> * Checking the Peruvian Bible Society website
>    (It looks like there's a link to an online bible
>     under ENLACES -> La Biblia Web)
> * Contacting them if you can't find what you need
> * If they can't help, then contact Wycliffe with
>    the language group code.  They may direct you to
>    a different bible society who publishes for that
>    language.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Peace,
> Gabriel
>
> p.s. I notified Wycliffe about the problem with their FAQ.

Gabriel:

Thanks for the informative reply!

I've found some of those items myself using google, but probably not
all of them.

There apaprently is more than one Quechua dialect, and it may be that
there is more than one translation into 2 or more of those dialects.
I did find a page about the dedication of a new revision of an existing
translation in 1995. I found another one about how it was all sold out
and nobody had enough money to fund another printing despite the number
of people who still want one. Yet another site said that "the current"
translation has a number of areas that differ from the original Greek
or Hebrew. So, I can't tell which one is which based on what I could
find. But I'll go dig thru the links you provide too, just in case.

My friend has returned to Peru just recently,  and I don't know when
she will return but it will probably be several months. Time that I can
perhaps put to use in trying to find one. Luckily her Spanish is better
than her English so she is currently making do with a Spanish translation.

Thanks again!

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."