[sword-devel] Tradução Brasileira status

David Cary d.cary+2004 at ieee.org
Sun Aug 13 20:56:13 MST 2006

Dear Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA,

> From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
>         I have now a copy of Tradução Brasileira.  It is a very nice copy from
> 1949, but I haven't been able to find a book scanner yet.  I am not
> prepared to destroy it
>         I discovered book scanners are hard to come by.  There is a relatively
> cheap Plustek model around, but it is MS Windows-only and not available
> in Brazil.
>         There are the professional models, but I will have to search for some
> institution owning one of them.
>         My plans are to later scan it using Clara, and put it for proofreading
> at PGDP-EU.

Dear Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA,

I've been told that there are some really nice scanners available now.

I am very impressed by the
    Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders
    http://pgdp.net/
organization.
Their FAQ has some scanner recommendations.
There are some more suggestions at
http://www.ericmackonline.com/ica/blogs/emonline.nsf/dx/how-hard-is-it-to-digitalize-a-book
http://www.ericmackonline.com/ica/blogs/emonline.nsf/dx/how-to-convert-a-book-to-pdftext
.

Many modern book "scanners" photograph the left and right pages using
commercial off-the-shelf digital cameras -- rather than "scanning" the
page with a light bar.

If you can't find an institution that has an adequate book scanner,
and you don't want to buy a new one, perhaps you could build something
like the "BookDrive"
http://redjar.org/jared/blog/archives/category/preservation/
http://atiz.com/
-- it is a frame to hold a digital camera, to hold some lights, and to
hold a book.
.

Perhaps you could donate the frame to some library after you are done.

Perhaps someone at that library would help build such a device, and
help scan your Book.

--
David Cary