[sword-devel] Other Bible versions

Richard Gray richard at bluesheep.me.uk
Mon Jun 28 23:47:02 MST 2004

Nichols, Lester wrote:
> I am not taking a side as to what e-sword may or may not do with regards to
> its licensing of Bible texts. To be fair to e-sword though, the website is
> very clear on the "for purchase" modules as in this example
> (http://www.e-sword.net/nasb.html) and others, as well as, those
> translations that have not been granted permission.
>

>>Thats interesting to hear. I'm not sure that E-sword are doing things in
>>the most honest of ways, as I have downloaded a number of their bibles, and
>>none of them seem to come with an associated software license. I would have
>>assumed that even if the actual text is distributed for free, they would be
>>required to put in the file that says "Less than 500 verses, as long as its
>>not a whole book etc etc etc."
>

> With reference to license verbiage, this is the exact content of the license
> for the CEV from the application (note - each version or module can get the
> associated license from within the application by selecting the version and
> going to "Bible" in the menu bar and then "Information":
>
> "Scriptures marked as "(CEV)" are taken from the Contemporary English
> Version (c) 1995 by American Bible Society.  Used by permission.
>
> The text of the Contemporary English Version (CEV) appearing on or deriving
> from this application is for personal use only.  Any other use of the CEV
> must be in conformity with the Quotation Policy for the Contemporary English
> Version.  For more information about the Contemporary English Version, the
> Quotation Policy and for inquiries about permission to use the Contemporary
> English Version, go to www.americanbible.org"
>
> Here is the NASB License from within the application:
>
> "NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE
> Copyright (C) 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995 by
> THE LOCKMAN FOUNDATION
> A Corporation Not for Profit
> LA HABRA, CA
> All Rights Reserved
> http://www.lockman.org
>
> The "NASB," "NAS," "New American Standard Bible," and "New American
> Standard" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and
> Trademark Office by The Lockman Foundation.  Use of these trademarks
> requires the permission of The Lockman Foundation.
>

> PERMISSION TO QUOTE
>
> The text of the New American Standard Bible(R) may be quoted and/or
> reprinted up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express
> written permission of The Lockman Foundation, providing the verses do not
> amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for
> more than 25% of the total work in which they are quoted.
>
> Notice of copyright must appear on the title or copyright page of the work
> as follows:
>
> "Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright (C)
> 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995 by The Lockman Foundation.
> Used by permission."

> [...]

I can only apologise. I honestly did not mean to suggest that anything improper
was going on. I could not find any license references in my downloaded program,
and I had assumed that they were necessary. (The OnlineBible distributes a
license.doc file with its modules) I have no real idea how copyright licenses
apply, so (as I demonstrated in a previous post) its much more likely that I
have simply got the wrong end of the stick.

OnlineBible and E-Sword, and what I quoted from previously was the end of my
correspondance with OnlineBible. I don't know who to believe in the matter.

It seems a shame that the three (Sword Project, E-Sword, Online Bible) can't get
some standard to their applying for copyright licenses. There must be a lot of
duplication of effort going on, in code as well. It feels like being at my
church board meeting :)

At any rate, I apologise if I caused anyone any upset and/or offence. Hats off
to you guys though for being much more responsive :)