[sword-devel] Greek-Dutch and Greek-English Interlinear

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 15 May 2003 20:20:25 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Daniel Blake wrote:

> Is this type of information available in a tutorial or FAQ for marking up
> text for module creation?

I think (but am not certain) if you get the new KJV module and run
mod2osis on it, you will get stuff similar to what I described (plus
morphology & Strong's numbers).

It's not described anywhere at the moment, but there is a manual in
progress.  I guess in this case, we hoped that the attribute names would
be self-explanatory, but they may not always be. :)

> Why do you put <w gloss="agape">love</w> instead of <w gloss="strong's
> number">love</w> ?
>
> Or is there a different tag you could add to put the strong's number in the
> text?

gloss should be a gloss (a very short translation, preferrably a single
word).  Strong's numbers would go in the lemma attribute in the form <w
lemma="x-Strong:H1234">...</w>. lemma and morph both require attribute
namespace indicators (x-Strong in this case), but not standard ones have
been defined yet, so you have to use "x-" to define your own.  gloss and
xlit (tranasliterated form) can both take regular strings.

Whether to use "x-Strong" or "x-Strongs" hasn't been decided.  I use and
would argue for the non-possessive form, but others may feel "Strongs" is
so much more common that it deserves to be used.

--Chris