[sword-devel] Explaine ThML markup

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:05:45 -0800

> > Of course if a given font has glyphs for all characters in all
> > blocks then you'd only need one font for everything in that
> > case (I think that was what was originally meant), but you're
> > not restricted to that behavior.
>
> Except that this isn't possible.  The greatest number of codepoints
> that  any font using current formats can support is 65k.  I'm
> pretty sure we're  over that already, between points assign in the
> BMP & SMP.

Right... That's a limitation of current font formats that needs to be
resolved before the latest version of Unicode can be fully supported by
any one single font.  But you can still support _most_ of it with one
font and there are a few fonts that do... I should not have used any
superlatives (ever! ;o) ) in my first message... :-P  So to support all
of the current version of Unicode, a given renderer currently _needs_ to
support some kind of font switching, ideally based on unicode block not
on module if it has hope of allowing multi-lingual modules.

Dave