[sword-devel] Convert markup in all modules to OSIS?

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:15:53 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Simon wrote:

> Maybe it would be nice to convert all markup in all modules to OSIS. I
> didn't look in the sourcecode, but I am sure that supporting just 1
> format for markup requires much less code...

True, it requires less code, but the code has already been written.  Troy
also doesn't want to remove the old code for older formats (which I agree
with, at least in part and in principle since it lets us do import/export
with those formats).

I'm in the process of exporting everything to OSIS & re-importing as
modules.  Eventually everything will be compressed and in OSIS format.
However, there are some modules that I don't think we should distribute as
OSIS just yet, because doing so loses a lot of pretty display markup that
OSIS can't currently handle.

> I have also written a PHP script that checks and repairs verses in
> bibletexts, that are not recognised as apart verses. Some modules have
> this error. For example, DutSVV 1 Sam 24, where verse 23 is not
> recognised as different verse:
> My script repairs those bugs.

This isn't a bug really; it's just adaptation of the text to an inflexible
format.

> It is also nice to use ONLY the OSIS-reference tags, which are very
> strictly defined, I think this will repair a lot of reference-bugs I
> found in some modules.

But OSIS references can be hard to form when you have a complex reference.
mod2osis does it, but destroys the text of the reference in the process.

> And another question: Does the ThML exported by Diaspora contains ALL
> tags that are in a Sword module, or are some tags skipped? If so, have
> can I get an export of a Sword module that contains all markuptags that
> are in the module?

Diaspora just uses the Sword API.  I think any tag that is unhandled gets
removed.  But if you have a ThML text and export it as ThML, it doesn't
try to process any of the ThML tags, so they will all be passed through.
Likewise, exporting GBF as GBF would ensure that you don't lose any GBF
tags.

I've got an update to Diaspora in the works, but it will probably need a
couple more days of work (when ever I get the chance).  It mainly just
adds OSIS support and corrections to compile against 1.5.5.  I think the
transliteration parts are all that still need work.

--Chris