[sword-devel] Convert markup in all modules to OSIS?

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:02:56 +0100

>> Maybe it would be nice to convert all markup in all modules to OSIS.
>> didn't look in the sourcecode, but I am sure that supporting just 1
>> format for markup requires much less code...

>True, it requires less code, but the code has already been written.
Troy
>also doesn't want to remove the old code for older formats (which I
agree
>with, at least in part and in principle since it lets us do
import/export
>with those formats).

Well, why not keep the main code and the import/export code strictly
separate? By doing so the number of possible bugs in the maincode will
reduce. I know programmers don't like that way of arguing (in my job as
Software Architect I face that problem day-by-day), but if done that
way, the resultcode is much more stable (lesser bugs), and easier to
maintaince.

>I'm in the process of exporting everything to OSIS & re-importing as
>modules.  Eventually everything will be compressed and in OSIS format.

>However, there are some modules that I don't think we should distribute
as
>OSIS just yet, because doing so loses a lot of pretty display markup
that
>OSIS can't currently handle.

Well, sounds interesting. But, as far as I know, all marking up that is
possible in HTML/GBS can be converted to OSIS (correct me if I'm wrong).
I am currently writing a program what can do extensive converting. So,
if you can give me a list of modules which don't convert with the tool
you're using, maybe I can convert them for you...

>> It is also nice to use ONLY the OSIS-reference tags, which are very
>> strictly defined, I think this will repair a lot of reference-bugs I
>> found in some modules.

>But OSIS references can be hard to form when you have a complex
reference.
>mod2osis does it, but destroys the text of the reference in the
process.

Well, I have not yet read the OSIS-documtentation about references
deeply. The only thing I couldn't find about reference-tags was linking
to a multiple verses, like Psa 1:1-3 or Psa 1:1,2. Maybe you know how to
do that in OSIS?

>> And another question: Does the ThML exported by Diaspora contains ALL

>> tags that are in a Sword module, or are some tags skipped? If so,
have
>> can I get an export of a Sword module that contains all markuptags
>> that are in the module?

>Diaspora just uses the Sword API.  I think any tag that is unhandled
gets
>removed.  But if you have a ThML text and export it as ThML, it doesn't

>try to process any of the ThML tags, so they will all be passed
through.
>Likewise, exporting GBF as GBF would ensure that you don't lose any GBF

>tags.

>I've got an update to Diaspora in the works, but it will probably need
>couple more days of work (when ever I get the chance).  It mainly just
>adds OSIS support and corrections to compile against 1.5.5.  I think
the
>transliteration parts are all that still need work.

Ah, I am very interested. Please let me know when the new Diaspora is
finished..

Simon