[sword-devel] Support Mailing List

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 00:40:11 +0200

>Is anyone else monitoring the list, I am one of the people looking at it and

I'm there, too -- currently mostly answering the Zaurus-related
questions, since I don't use Windows at the moment.

>Troy is there anything that can be done about the spam that is sent to
>sword-bugs and that is automatically forwarded to the support list?

I've had good success using SpamAssassin. A standard setup on the
crosswire server could catch a lot of them already. For better
success, you need to have a spamfilter of your own, using e.g.
bayesian techniques (enable SpamAssassin's bayesian filter, use
PopFile etc.). However, that is a two-edged sword: Some of the support
e-mails "look" very much like a certain kind of spam -- mostly those
that lack salutation etc. and consist of two or three sentences only
("Help! I downloaded Sword, but it doesn't work! What should I do?").

So Troy won't be able to set up something that catches _all_ of the
spam -- but as I said, the standard SpamAssassin (in my experience)
catches a lot of it (at least 50%) with no false positives.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"The following two statements are usually both true: There's not enough
documentation. There's too much documentation."  -- Larry Wall