[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:31:39 -0700

At 09:19 AM 1/16/2003 -0500, Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
>Thus spake "Jerry Hastings"> :
>
> > Turning on and off red letters may just be
> > "presentation," (changing color only), but in theory it could be changing
> > from "saying" these are the words of Jesus," (red), to "maybe these are the
> > words of Jesus," (black).
>
>You seem to have in mind the Jesus seminar ...

Not at all.

>The fact that they use colored beads
>to implement those methods seems irrelevant.

Yep.

>So far as I know, there is no translation with a red letter edition
>available which does not also offer a black-letter edition.  What's the
>issue here?

As I have said, I don't care about red-lettering. Not a big deal to me.
However, if all translations in red-letter editions also provide editions
without that does not change the "in theory." The issue is, how far should
power over texts go? At what point are you disrespectful of the text and
the author/translator. I think we should treat the text of someone like
J.B. Phillips as if he were our friend. Not everything is about the users.
That is the issue.

Jerry