[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Jimmie Houchin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:35:59 -0600

I too am very pro powerful software. I am pro open software.

A feature I am very fond of which permits powerful software and in fact
encourages it is what you could call living software. Software which can
  be changed while in use. ie: a living system. Software, that while I
am using it I can code in, accept the code and run it.

I am hopefully going to begin a project in the near future developing a
Bible frontend to the Sword Modules. It will not rely on any of the
Sword DLLs or executables. This is something I've wanted for a long,
long time.

I am not a developer/programmer but am in the process of learning
Squeak. Squeak is an open source Smalltalk system. It is very cross
platform. I personally have run it from my wife's Power Mac 604e 200mhz,
my children's iMac (rev. B), my Linux machine, a Win95 PII 266 machine
at work, and now a WinXP 2ghz Athlon at work. It runs bit identical on
something like over 30 machines. Some people use it on their PDAs, like
iPaq, Zaurus.

It is extraordinarily portable. It has a portable VM and all else is
identical on all platforms.

When a Bible system is written in Squeak it will instantly run on all
the above platforms and easily portable to future platforms. It handles
all its own graphics and events. This means it isn't a native GUI.

Some people have a problem with that. I don't.
I don't most users will have a problem either. The biggest problem with
most non-native GUIs is that they were poor interfaces, not that they
weren't native. MS proves you can have poor GUIs which are native. :)

The look and feel is completely at the control of the developer. Its not
  limited to the native UI. It is multimedia. Does MP3, Ogg (or will
soon), MPEGs, JPEGs, MIDI. A 3D OS is being written in it right now.

It is like an OS. It is a complete environment, user and developer all
together.

For example. If a Sword frontend was developed in it, and I wanted to
add a feature, say search for Strongs numbers. (If I remember correctly
you used to not be able to in Windows and still can't in GnomeSword.)
A developer could open up a code browser, add the method, save the
method, and then begin using it immediately. He could then share this
new feature via a ChangeSet and email it to the list and it would be
available to everyone.

Very interesting and powerful software.

For information on Squeak.
http://www.squeak.org
There is an active mailing list.

Squeak itself is based on Smalltalk 80. This means its been around 22+
years. Smalltalk is over 30 years. It is a stable and full featured OO
language.

If anyone is interested in talking about a Sword frontend in Squeak
email me. We can have a private conversation or on this list if it is
deemed sufficiently on topic.

Jimmie Houchin