[sword-devel] Bereans and GPL vs PD wrt InVerse "plug-in"

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:09:19 -0700

> Let me ask, if I may, since this question has never been brought up,
> much less addressed:
> What is it, precisely, that you wish to do with LcdBible or InVerse that
> prohibits you from adopting the GPL license yourself?

Hi Chris et'al,

Good question. For me, the real issue is the licensing situation of the
InVerse
Scripture memorization freeware, not LcdBible. To summarize the discussion
at the bottom of this eMail, I want to proceed with a license that is so
"risk free" to vendors of proprietary Bible software that they will have a
comfort level to integrate InVerse with their closed software.

Brief background:
InVerse is now a standalone Visual C++ 6.0 project using mfc42 for
"widgets".
90%+ of the 960kb InVerseSetup.exe is the Bible text "payload" in the form
of 15,300 verses from 11 different English Bible translations. Most of these
verses are from "closed" versions such as NIV, NKJV, ESV, NASB, etc. InVerse
has been careful to honor the default verse limits (usually 200 -1000
verses) and has obtained legally executed waivers for additional verses from
Lockman's NASB, Zondervan's NIV, and others.

InVerse has been a sourceforge.net open source project since its inception
in
early 2002. It uses the Mozilla 1.1 license, which was an uninformed
decision
at the time for no particular reason. There have been about 20 releases,
with
3.5h being on Oct 13,2003 regarding Palm and Pocket-PC interfaces. There is
a Release Candidate about ready to be ver. 3.6a regarding "Topics".

Objective:
The nature of InVerse is that it could and should be a "plug-in" that
"piggybacks" with existing Bible software on the end-user's computer. Then
it can radically reduce its download size "footprint".  An eventual release
of InVerse is anticipated to have 2x to 3x more verses from 2x more English
translations. Internationalized versions could easily double that again. The
main "scalability problem" with the current architecture of preloaded verses
is download size and slow "launch time."

WWJD:
I believe it would be pleasing to God and His Son for me to expend time,
prayer, effort, and treasure to do what I can to have InVerse be widely
available.

Strategy:
I have made proposals to Rick Meyer's freeware e-Sword to more or less
tightly integrate InVerse in his download "bundle." In that situation,
InVerse would use his VB library or COM routines to fetch verses.

If InVerse was a "plug-in" for the Win32 sword software, it would use the
GPL sword-api to fetch verses. Ideally, it could be so tightly integrated as
to be a menu item on the BibleCS menu-bar. It could be part of the
"Starter-Set", because it would only add about 50kb to the download size.

I have similar thinking to propose integration of InVerse with Costas
Stergiou's terrific "The Word" freeware. InVerse would also be a viable
"plug-in" for the (less than terrific) LcdBible. I suspect that there might
be advantages to discussions with the E4 Bible software (free except for
moderately high s&h??? and then commercial vendor?)

Perhaps more controversial, I would like to approach proprietary vendors of
Bible software such as Logos, Epiphany's Bible Explorer, Laridian, Olive
Tree, etc. to discuss possible integration of InVerse. I don't have a
problem with dealing with vendors who charge for Bible software, and I even
claim that I am not opposed to, but only wary of, dealing with vendors that
may have a reputation for being "VerseMongers". Phil 1:12-18.

In each case, the specifics of InVerse "fetching" verses from the
"plugged-into" master software (BibleCS, e-Sword, Logos, etc.) would be
different. It could involve nda's from them, as integration might required
sharing of proprietary info about their data layout and/or passwords. In any
case, a relationship of trust would be very beneficial, if not essential.

Sorry for the long winded background. If I was a better writer or had more
time, it would be shorter and "crisper."

Application:
Suppose that I am in "negotiations" with Rick Meyers or Zondervan or Logos
or
"VerseMonger". For purposes of discussion, let's say InVerse is licensed
with GPL and The CrossWire Bible Society holds the copyright (whatever that
means). Neither side is particularly knowledgeable about GPL, but they have
heard "horror stories" about dealing with copyleft. I speculate that they
would be reluctant to even discuss integration.

Technically, it may be true that someone who actually is a lawyer could
figure out how to legally/ethically bundle InVerse and their proprietary,
closed software. I think it is very possible that vendors would still be
reluctant to
even look much further and simply respond, "Thanks, no thanks."  I suspect
they would be a whole lot more comfortable if InVerse was Public Domain.

I've read through the GPL FAQ, and believe there are ways to address this
problem. I'm interested in a "solution" that is not just legally correct,
but that is preceived by mba's and lawyers to be so "risk free" that
suspicious vendors will have a comfort level with integration. I am *NOT*
trying to open up their closed software, but they might suspect that.

<alert ... an aside>
It isn't just proprietary vendors who want to reduce risk. I think The SWORD
Project is similarly "risk adverse" to the possibility that currently free
software could get closed. Especially, sword maintainers are worried that
people might be able to inappropriately get usage of non-free Bible texts
(such as MKJV, ISV, RSV, etc.) This could cause a lose of the permission
from the publisher of these Bibles.

My point is: The SWORD Project has the right, and exercises it, to declare,
"it's GPL or go away." I would anticipate trying to commence negotiations
with mba's who have decided, "it you've had anything to do with GPL, go
away."
<all clear ... aside over>

Possible Solution:
Happily, there is cause for joy among the "Mudville nine" :-). Based on the
discussion during related threads, I suspect I can
ethically/legally/low-risk have separate versions of InVerse with separate
licenses pertaining to each "target". InVerse-sword-gpl. InVerse-eSword-PD,
InVerse-TW-Artistic, InVerse-Logos-PD, etc.

Feedback appreciated.

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html

Lynn A.