[sword-devel] Copyrights and cash

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:59:02 +0100

Hi there ....

I've been thinking a lot about the big copyrights issue.  The Sword Project
has some exceptional software to offer now.  The performance outshines any
of the commercial programs and the potential is growing rapidly.  The Sword
library itself is awesome and completely platform independent.  But at the
end of the day, it is only as useful as the modules that we are able to
offer.  In English speaking countries, the majority of Christians seem to
want the NIV.  Second to that is possibly the NRSV maybe followed by the
NJB.  I could be wrong, but I guess there will be few other real
contenders.

We may eventually get some success with the copright holder of the NRSV -
but Zondervan will never, I'm sure allow free issue of the NIV.  Is it
totally against the policy of the Sword Project (that's us, I think) to
refuse to allow anyone to charge a copyright fee for a locked module which
we would provide?

I know we have no mechanism or desire to handle copyright funds.  Could we
not consider arranging with a copyright holder together with a commercial
retail organisation such as Amazon to handle the commercial side of
transactions involving downloadable modules only?  Or maybe Zondervan
themselves could set up a mechanism to arrange the supply of the Sword
module?

This would not mean that we would (ever) charge for the software.  Simply
make it available as we do now, but with a method of buying copyrighted
modules.

I seriously believe we ought to do something in that direction and would
like to propose that listmembers offer their thoughts.

God bless,

Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of the Arnold and the Netherfield
United