[sword-devel] 1.52 & a request

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 15 May 2001 20:53:33 +1000

"Troy A. Griffitts" wrote:

> > > After 1.52 there should be a major change in the way modules are created.
> > > They should no longer be created based on FONTS (like symbol) which use a
> > > proprietary and fontspecific encoding. They should rather be created based
> > > on official ENCODINGS (e.g. iso8859-7 for greek). This way users can decide
> > > which font they want to choose. It will even be possible to use an unicode
> > > font to display every possible language. It is easy to map the standardized
> > > charsets into unicode in the frontends. But that does not work with
> > > fontspecific encodings.
>
> I pretty much agree.  The Font= should reference an encoding, not a
> specific font name.

Shouldn't that mean that it should be called something different, too?  I would
suggest "Encoding=".  :-)

> Harry's response regarding unicode voices a very valid concern.

A bit scary that something so long established as Hebrew would not even have a
full set of diacritical marks in Unicode, eh?  I wonder what others do for BHS?
--
Paul
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear