[sword-devel] perl code to evaluate scripture references

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:00:37 -0000

Hi,

> Yes, I'm interested in your Java tools. The work that is to be done is:
> -- one program takes a list of verse sets (list of strings like "Jn
> 3:1-16"), sorts them in
> biblical order and reports overlapping verse sets. It distributes the
> sorted list into the files nt
> and ot. So I can append the complying paragraph of the commentary to
> each set of verses in
> ot and nt files.
> -- another program to takes a set of verses (such as the string "Jn
> 3:1-16") and gives back the
> absolute number of the first given verse in KJV verse numbering and
> the amount of given verses.
> This is dedicated to help me creating the .vss files of a commentary
> with commented verse _sets_,
> which txt2sword can't, as long as I know. But perhaps someone knows
> how to do this easier?
>
> Do you think that your Java tools are an appropriate basis for
> building these programs / functions?
>
> Unfortunately, the verse sets are given in German abbreviation scheme
> (i.e., "Joh.3,1-16"). So,
> are your tools useful to convert German to English abbreviation
> scheme? [suggestion: how about
> collecting these helpful functions that deal with sets of verses,
> indexing, doing markup and so on
> and create a library (perl module?) from them that would support
> scripting when converting texts to
> SWORD?]

I think my code will help, but I suggest we take it of list because
it's not really about Sword any more.

If you are interested in the conversation, shout and I'll copy you.
If you think it is of interest to the list, shout and maybe if there
is enough we'll carry on here.

With love in Jesus,

Joe.