[sword-devel] Format of the various Sword text modules

Stuart Robertson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:41:10 +0200

Hi,

I'm new to the Sword development effort, so please forgive me if I ask a
couple of dumb and/or annoying questions...

I currently have two broad questions:

- I've noticed that Sword supports a number of different text formats.  Is
there a list of all formats supported by Sword?
- For each supported text format, does the following exist:
  - Documentation about the actual file formats and structures used by each
text format (module?)
  - Documentation about the APIs used to manipulate texts of the particular
format?
  - Documentation describing how to prepare a new text of a particular
module type?

Why I ask is that I have done a lot of work in manipulating the OTA
(pointed, accented) BHS text into a format where each <CR><LF>-delimited
line of text contains a single verse, suitable for easy verse indexing and
retrieval.

I haven't yet been able to compile the Sword library in my Windows VC++
environment, but hopefully that'll happen soon.  When it does, I'd like to
create a (pointed, accented) BHS text module for use with the Sword Library.

Any comments/documentation/notes/etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stuart.