[sword-devel] perl code to evaluate scripture references

Matthias Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:32:34 +0100

Hy!

Yes, I'm interested in your Java tools. The work that is to be done is:
-- one program takes a list of verse sets (list of strings like "Jn 3:1-16"), sorts them in
biblical order and reports overlapping verse sets. It distributes the sorted list into the files nt
and ot. So I can append the complying paragraph of the commentary to each set of verses in
ot and nt files.
-- another program to takes a set of verses (such as the string "Jn 3:1-16") and gives back the
absolute number of the first given verse in KJV verse numbering and the amount of given verses.
This is dedicated to help me creating the .vss files of a commentary with commented verse _sets_,
which txt2sword can't, as long as I know. But perhaps someone knows how to do this easier?

Do you think that your Java tools are an appropriate basis for building these programs / functions?

Unfortunately, the verse sets are given in German abbreviation scheme (i.e., "Joh.3,1-16"). So,
are your tools useful to convert German to English abbreviation scheme? [suggestion: how about
collecting these helpful functions that deal with sets of verses, indexing, doing markup and so on
and create a library (perl module?) from them that would support scripting when converting texts to
SWORD?]

Thanks so far, Joe!  In Christ,
     Matthias  <aNsis@gmx.de>