[sword-devel] Suggestion

Joachim Ansorg sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 01:10:23 +0000

Hi!

One idea using the indexing engine in BibleTime: Why not popup a window
informing the user that he needs an index? Or perhaps RM on a text and choose
"Create index" ? I think this would be a good idea for a user.

--Joachim

>My experienced $0.02:
>
>> I would think that it would be far more costly to construct an inverted
>> file than reading sequentially through a file, thereore imposing an
>> incredible cost on the first query.  Is this an unfounded concern?
>
>Constructing the indexing files takes even more time than a simple
>grep-style search does. I suppose if someone spent a lot of time optimizing
>it it could get bearable, but for my software, I am quite glad that I take
>care of the indexing on my PII-450/128mb RAM before I send it out. To give
>an idea, it takes my indexer about 3 minutes to index a Bible text without
>Strong's numbers. IMHO this would be an inacceptable amount of time for the
>users "first impression" of searching with SWORD.
>
>-Brandon Staggs

-- Joachim
BibleTime - the bible study program for KDE
http://www.bibletime.de/
info@bibletime.de