[sword-devel] Suggestion

Brandon Staggs sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:20:43 -1000

My experienced $0.02:

> I would think that it would be far more costly to construct an inverted
> file than reading sequentially through a file, thereore imposing an
> incredible cost on the first query.  Is this an unfounded concern?

Constructing the indexing files takes even more time than a simple
grep-style search does. I suppose if someone spent a lot of time optimizing
it it could get bearable, but for my software, I am quite glad that I take
care of the indexing on my PII-450/128mb RAM before I send it out. To give
an idea, it takes my indexer about 3 minutes to index a Bible text without
Strong's numbers. IMHO this would be an inacceptable amount of time for the
users "first impression" of searching with SWORD.

-Brandon Staggs