[sword-devel] Copyright Scripture distribution

Pergamum sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 00:43:23 -0600

You know... I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record sometimes
when I post.  But now I think I know WHY GOD's got my mental CD-player
skipping on the same track.  :)
Darwin, you make an excellent point here about the pencils and that.  I had
never really considered that because my primary focus in the debate is the
Word of GOD and I have always considered pencils, stickers, t-shirts, etc.
as mere trinkets and superfluous.  You are however very right about the
issue.  I was, as a matter of fact looking in a local Christian bookstore
yesterday for a bible case.  Most of these monstrosities cost more than the
bibles themselves.  Anywhere from $30-$100.  Turn the page, I go to Wal-mart
and cases of the same quality for $10-$20.  All I have to say to the
bookstore in question on this regard is "It sucks to be you.  I just gave
Wal-mart the money I would have otherwise given YOU."  Wal-Mart also carries
little Christian trinkets, etc for very reasonable prices.  And if these
Non-Christian stores can assume reasonable costs for things like this then
what is the major malfunction with these Christian sellers.  Sometimes
however cost is excessive and justifiably so.
Yes, I have paid excessive sums of money for some of my bibles.  But I in no
way paid, in my opinion, $50-$100 for the bible texts.  I paid it for the
commentaries of the specific editors: Grant Jeffrey, John Hagee, Dake. and
the editors of "Greek-Hebrew Key Study Bible", "Knowing Jesus Study Bible,
etc.  I do not mind paying that.  Nor would I consider using it without
their permission.  But to expect to bilk millions from believers just to
spread the Word of GOD unadorned is outrageous.
Music is another good example.  Especially with my taste.  I enjoy Christian
music of the hardcore metal persuasion.  When I find it in a Christian
bookstore they expect about $2-$3 more than a secular store wants.  In other
words.  It is cheaper for a Metallica or Slayer CD than for Deliverance,
Mortification, Believer or Living Sacrifice.  UNLESS of course I order it
from a secular music store, which will be more than happy usually to do so.
In which most cases it is either the same price or sometimes lower than any
other CD in the store.  Why is that?  I'm more than happy to give my money
to, say Blockbuster music over the local Christian bookstore in order for
them to get my music.  Why?  Simple.  Because if I go in an order enough,
they see a demand for the music and they begin to carry it.  And most
Christian rock or metal bands end up in the regular Rock/Metal sections of
the store.  Thus more unbelievers that might just be looking for a good jam
will hear them and come to Christ because of it.  Good examples are King's
X, Galactic Cowboys, Believer Grammartrain and Bride.  All of whom are on
secular labels. (though some are also cross-distributed by Christian labels)
I'm likely to think that these bands reach more minds and hearts than say
Audio Adrenaline or even Bloodgood or Living Sacrifice because they are on
Christian-only labels and thus are usually (unless annoying punks like me)
go in and show the secularists that there is a demand.
Personally I don't much care if my pencil says "Jesus Loves You" because it
is eventually going to just say "You", then just "u".  But there are people
that do want to buy these items and non-Christian stores are catching wind
of this and, unlike their Christian counterparts, do not feel the need to
price everything in their inventory like a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork.

Why is that?

In Christ Jesus,
Pergamum
(Skip)