[sword-devel] new FAQ

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 20:22:45 -0800

It is becoming quite apparent to me that certain questions are being asked
very frequently over the support list.  I know that the BibleTime webpage
has a FAQ, but this seems insufficient to me in two respects.  First, it
doesn't cover many aspects that are more generally SWORD related.  BT isn't
the only frontend and so it that FAQ can't cover Sword_CS related questions.
Other questions, such as those about locked modules would be more
appropriate in general SWORD FAQ.  Second, SWORD users (especially non-BT
users) may look for FAQs on crosswire.org, where they aren't likely to find
any answers presently.  Since crosswire.org is the hub of this project, it
seems like it should have a FAQ . . ..

To that end, I'm suggesting we set up a new FAQ on crosswire.org that cover
more aspects of SWORD than are reasonable to cover within bibletime.de's
(appropriately) linux-centric and BT-centric FAQs.  The FAQs from
bibletime.de and some of the other info already on crosswire.org would be a
good starting point, but we could also add information on the Windows FE,
the API, our mission, module creation, locked modules, and email and mailing
addresses of Bible societies to complain to for their not allowing us to
distribute their texts.  :)

The way I would personally suggest that a FAQ be managed is through
FAQ-O-Matic, which allows multiple maintainers to add and modify FAQ items
easily over the web.  The CGI for FAQ-O-Matic is available at
http://www.dartmouth.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jonh/faq.pl and an example
implementation can be seen over at http://faq.horde.org/.

Let me know what you guys think of that idea . . ..  It would be a lot
easier to point feedback and support requests back to a FAQ than it is to
compose a new message everytime someone asks how to unlock modules.

--Chris Little