[osis-core] USFM and "x-" on attribute values

osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:23:54 -0500

Todd,

In my research and need to import USFM into Translation Editor (TE) what
you said is what I found to be true. What I am asking is NOT that UBS
abandon the current tags but include meaning based tags so that we can
round trip data. Once we go to the effort to get it "right" in TE and OSIS
it is a shame to have to do it again if for some reason we transform back
to USFM. Currently we would loose information that someone has gone to the
work of either manually or via smart programming figured out the why
behind the
> 2) Format markers that are complicated by formatting information

BTW since TE styles are totally meaning based, anyone starting in TE and
then for some reason converting to USFM will loose information. I do not
want SIL to create a second SF based standard. I am asking that UBS
consider extending USFM to allow for round tripping without meaning loss.
We already have too many of SF "standards". And anyone starting with TE
can convert to OSIS and maintain all encoded information without loss.

Jim Albright
704 843-0582
Wycliffe Bible Translators

"Todd Tillinghast" <todd@contentframeworks.com>