[osis-core] Revisiting unbalanced quotes

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:45:42 -0500

Guys,

Working back through my email and noticed Chris's post on unbalance quotes.

2 Cases as I understand it:

1. Nested continuation quotes (can someone give me a reference to an
example in the TEV) where the issue is now to link a continuation quote
to its "parent".

2. A quote in a note that has the beginning quote mark but not a closing
quote. (not at all sure that would be meaningful to a reader but assume
someone has an example of this)

Question on #2: If the beginning but not the end of the quote is marked,
how do you know where the quote ends? The reason I ask is that with some
attribute value as a trigger, you could mark the beginning and end of
the quote and set your stylesheet to simply not output a closing quote
mark for that type of quote. Yes, it is in a quote container but that
does not mean that it has to have quote marks at both ends.

On #1, just curious if marking the quotes using milestones, and using
the osisID, with the "!" extension, would be enough to link them
together. Not real sure how one can tell what is a continuation quote of
what in the circumstances described but then I have not seen the
example. Same mechanism as I suggest for #2 in terms of getting a quote
mark only at one end or at both.

Don't recall us reaching this in Dallas but if we did, it is not in the
notes.

Hope everyone is having a great day!