[osis-core] Study Notes

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:32:53 -0500

Chris,

> The USFM manual's material on study notes is still under development,
> but, as it stands, currently has an element for study notes, which
> themselves specify a type of study notes.
>
> The types that it names are: history, glossary, & textual
> criticism. These could be handled either by new note types or note
> subTypes for the study type.

We already have:

<xs:enumeration value="allusion"/>
<xs:enumeration value="alternative"/>
<xs:enumeration value="background"/>
<xs:enumeration value="citation"/>
<xs:enumeration value="crossReference"/>
<xs:enumeration value="devotional"/>
<xs:enumeration value="encoder"/>
<xs:enumeration value="exegesis"/>
<xs:enumeration value="explanation"/>
<xs:enumeration value="speaker"/>
<xs:enumeration value="study"/>
<xs:enumeration value="translation"/>
<xs:enumeration value="variant"/>

My first reaction is to say that we just add types to <note>. Todd will
say we are losing information but what purpose is served by saying a
note is a study note of a particular type? Seems to me it would be more
important to say it is history, glossary, textual criticism, etc. than
saying it was a study note.

Would really prefer to not step on the subType attribute, which we have
reserved for users.

Hope you are having a great day!