[osis-core] sidebars

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:52:36 -0500

Chris,

> USFM provides an element for identifying material that will appear in
> a sidebar.  <div type="sidebar"> would be the obvious solution, but
> that is rather presentation-oriented.  Another solution would be to
> force users to decide what types of material they are presenting in
> sidebars (e.g. background notes) and to indicate that.

If I had my preference, both type="sidebar" and type="x-sidebar" would
be fatal OSIS errors. ;-)

Sidebars, as you know, are flow objects that are determined at the time
of rendering. I can imagine when we reach markup for manuscripts that we
will want to allow marking of the location of a note (and other things)
in the original and that will be abused when we make that possible.

In terms of going into OSIS markup, would need to convert into whatever
elements are appropriate and select them with a stylesheet. I assume
this is something consistent to a particular edition and not notes of
the same kind can appear at the end of columns, as footnotes or as
sidebar notes?

Hope you are having a great day!