[osis-core] User manual bug list - 70 Getting quote marks correct

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:57:36 -0700

70. Getting quote marks correct

I am looking at trying to get my quote marks correct.  I believe
that the way to determine this is as follows:

A) obtain the correct root for this node - this would either be the
osisText/div or div[@type="book"] ancestor of this node.

B) obtain all q and speech nodes that are predecessors of this node,
including this node.

C) remove all q[@type="block"] nodes from the list

D) Level = count of nodes with sID - count of nodes with eID

E) Add to Level the number of speech and q nodes where @type!="block" in
the ancestor tree.

F) Emit no quote if Level== 0, " if Level==odd, ' if Level==even

IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO COMPUTE THIS?

Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:
There is no official way to process quote marks as they are a style
issue.

(It may be just as reliable to test if level==even/level=odd AND that
the <q> element is either a container or has an sID attribute.  You
would also likely want to check for continuation quote mark milestones.)

Todd