[osis-core] Users Manual Bug List - 64. Person to human

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:13:06 -0800

> 64. Person to human
>
> Section 13.12: I would suggest changing "person" to "human". As things
> stand I don't know the definition of a human. Is Frodo a person or a
> nonhuman. The two are not mutually exclusive. (Yes I know there is a big
> argument about the question of Jesus and his humanity, but I think that
> can be ignored for this purpose, although one might be able to argue that
> all references to Jesus and to The Holy Spirit in John should be marked
> with divineName as they are all part of the Deity. Personally I fall into
> the Arian camp, but that is neither here nor there.) Submitted by: Jim
> Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com
>
> Resolution:

Okay, the values we chose for <name> types ('geographic', 'holiday',
'nonhuman', 'person' & 'ritual') are a bit confusing.

'person' is good because it encompases borderline stuff like Frodo and
Jesus.  Even if we don't want to say that these cases are human or
entirely human or only human, we can be certain they are people.  So
'person' seems a reasonably good value.

Now Smaug or Behemoth are clearly not 'person', so 'nonhuman' seem
reasonable values, assuming we don't add a 'monster' value or a
'nonHumanLivingEntity' value.

In other words, I think we could clear up the confusion with just prose
and a few examples (and no schema changes).

Another very important issue raised by this report is the range of
referents to which <divineName> can apply.  Early on, we were allowing
this to refer to any ol' name of any deity, but we eventually clarified
that this can only be used for references to Yahweh, using that name in
the underlying text--the stuff that would be rendered as small caps.
Not all users are clear on this point.

--Chris