[osis-core] Users Manual Bug List - 64. Person to human

Kirk Lowery osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:32:22 -0500

Chris Little wrote:
>> 64. Person to human

[snip]

> In other words, I think we could clear up the confusion with just prose
> and a few examples (and no schema changes).

Do we want to distinguish between sentient/non-sentient and at the same
time human/non-human? I'm thinking about angels, demons and deities. In
the ancient near east religions an ordinary object can become a deity.
In Ugaritic (and also claimed by some scholars to be the same in the
Psalms) the word "yam" which ordinarily means "sea" is used as "Yam" the
Sea God (later in classical culture, Neptune).

The move from "person" to "human" loses the the ability to label
"nonhuman sentient", "nonsentient, nonhuman" (e.g., Job's Leviathan...).
What is Frodo? A hobbit, a nonhuman sentient. In the current schema, a
person.

Hmmm, I've got to go back and read my Aristotle, but where is that
section on classifying elves and eldils?... :-)

My $0.02.

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!