[osis-core] Users Manual Bug List - 6. Q in transChange

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:48:13 -0800

Hi folks,

That Feb 15 deadline for comment on the buglist is creeping up fast, so
I thought I'd comment at least on the more important (to me) issues from
the list....

<q> can contain <transChange> but not vice versa.  I think this is
appropriate, so I would NOT recommend adding <q> to <transChange> as
suggested.

In the example cited, we have italics (used to mark a translation
change) straddling a quotation boundary.  Apologies for being so
dogmatic, but I think the markup supplied by Jim simply incorrect.  If a
<transChange> straddles a <q>, it is, by definition, two distinct
<transChange> elements.  It has to be two separate (in this case)
additions, supplied to make two separate clauses grammatical (the first
level quotation and the second level quotation, respectively).

The correct markup is simply:

<verse osisID="Matt.16.14>
They said, <q>Some <transChange type="added">say</transChange>, <q
sID="Matt.16.14.q.1"/><transChange type="added">He is</transChange>

And this requires no changes to the schema.

--Chris