[osis-core] Public domain texts

Sun, 1 Feb 2004 23:51:26 -0700 (MST)

Todd,

Troy seems mostly right (even if he doesn't know about the identifier
syntax yet).  CrossWire should appear at the end of the identifier as the
publisher since, like many publishers, we have introduced changes to the
text we received.

PUB/Public isn't appropriate here, since that's a <rights> issue and the
"Public" is in no way responsible for the creation of the text.  I see a
couple different ways to attack this ambiguity:

1) Don't require the creator component of the identifier.
2) Use something like "King_James_I" or "England" as the "creator" in this
case.  In others it might be "anonymous" or the name of a library's
owner, like "Ashurbanipal", or a site name, like "Qumran" or "Leningrad".
In many cases (e.g. the Bishop's and Great Bibles) I would have no idea
what to identify as the creator.

It's going to take some thought to come up with a good solution.

(BTW, if you have a KJV, chances are it is not the 1611.  Ours is claimed
to be the 1769 version.  Chadwyck-Healey owns the only 1611 KJV database
that I'm aware of, and they have some strict license terms.)

--Chris