[jsword-devel] Recent issue deluge and JSword version

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 25 19:14:22 MST 2010

On Nov 25, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Martin Denham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Issue Deluge
> Apologies for sending issues in waves but I have tended to patch JSword on the fly to make it work with Android.

No need to apologize. Communication is good.

>  Many of the patches I later undo because I find they were not required but some have been there for a few releases now and I am trying to feed back into JSword any that seem useful.  Thanks (DM) for the changes you have applied recently.

Send me more... ;)

> There are still more changes I have made that I will try to feed back soon for consideration.  There is a jsword-tweaked-src.jar in the And Bible repository so people know what source is currently being used.

I think this is a reasonable model of development. The changes you have proposed have been very good. I imagine the other ones are also good. Looking forward to seeing them.

Ultimately, I'd like to see all changes make their way back. The one thing that probably will fork is the xslt. But that's why it is in the bibledesktop jar.

> Which JSword Version
> When starting And Bible I took JSword from the tip without thinking but are others working off of a tagged build or from the tip or released jars?

Today, development for the next release is on trunk. I try to keep it fairly stable, but right now I'm iterating over an improvement (simplifying translation) that is significant and large. So I not only might miss something, I also have.

I'm also applying bug fixes there.

If this model of development is annoying, I can do something different. Either create a current release branch and apply bug fixes there, using trunk for the next release. Or do development in a branch and merge when it is ready for release. Both have their merits, but the first is easier to administer.

If you want to follow the changes subscribe to jsword-svn. Every now and then there's a change that is so big (such as the merging of common into JSword) that I cancel it being sent there. I probably should send a note regarding the change.

>  Working from the tip means after refreshing I need to take some time to be sure everything is working before a release so I tend to update my copy of JSword just after a release to ensure there are no surprises.

The reason for the jira issues being sent to here is to improve communication. I'm hoping it is helping.

> I was wondering what approach others use.

I think Tonny uses trunk for Alkitab.