[jsword-devel] Strongs Dictionary in beta

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Feb 28 05:58:32 MST 2010

On Feb 28, 2010, at 4:27 AM, Trenton D. Adams wrote:

> Who's maintaining the combined strongs reference in the beta repository?

Chris Little. He maintains the CrossWire repository and is the builder of most modules. He probably is a bit pre-occupied having gotten married last weekend.

> I have some things I'd like to add to the strongs, so I might as well add it to the latest strongs xml.  Also, why, if it's so old, has it not been moved to the production repository?

It may be old, but if it has not moved it is because there are known problems with it.

The jsword-devel list is for discussions about JSword. I don't mind threads like this, but sword-devel is where people lurk that can answer non-jsword questions.

> I would like to possibly look into adding the entire set of verses that each Strongs number exists in, using the <xr/> and <ref/> tags, so that we can link back to the biblical text.

Why not just search on the Strong's number? From the BibleDesktop manual:

Strong's Number Search: You can search for verses with a particular Strong's Number. This uses a form similar to Note Search. “strong:h3068” will find all verses that have YHWH in them. Prefix Hebrew numbers with H or h and Greek with G or g. You can follow the letter with any number of zeros and then the number. If the Bible does not have Strong's numbers it won't find anything.

It would be more reasonable for JSword to make the title a search for the keyword. In he case of Strong's dictionary it would use the syntax above. For any other dictionary, it would be just a regular search.

But to answer your request, you can get the xml and modify it to be a private module for yourself and your friends, but the modules on the CrossWire server are faithful to the text that we get. We don't add content that is not in the source e-text.

> Also, I just realized, while I do that, it may be worth my time to fix the simple.xsl to output links to other strongs numbers as well.  Does

Your email didn't finish your thought. One of the ideas about a dictionary is that the common "See also" references should be hyperlinked. The module should be marked up for this. JSword will need some work to handle it.

In Him,