[jsword-devel] Bible Desktop Vision and Strategy

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 10:11:42 MST 2009

--- On Tue, 3/10/09, Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [jsword-devel] Bible Desktop Vision and Strategy
> Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 4:02 AM
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Neil Short
> <neshort at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > THANK YOU!
> > It's not an all-purpose kitchen gadget. It needs
> to do a few things and do them well.
>
> In some ways true.  However, I can guarantee that even
> among the
> comparatively few developers we have on this list there
> will be very
> little consensus as to what the things are it should do.
> Throw in
> even a small user population with different backgrounds and
> your
> chances of consensus are approximately zero (except on
> broad big
> picture issues like "reading the Bible" - if we
> can't agree on that as
> an important part then we might as well give up).  That
> being said,
> configuring it with different subsets of functionality for
> different
> classes of users is probably worth considering.
>
> Jon

If you are a developer, go for it. A word of caution: if you pile on features for the developer(s) that he/she/they cannot get behind, the project will be abandoned.

I know I would not donate my time to put together some feature some user thinks would be cool but that I see as eye-candy with only modest usability improvement.

Having the commentary view in a completely separate frame from the bible view would add a lot and probably not be too hard to accomplish, for example. (Each can be viewed on a smaller monitor).