[jsword-devel] Java IDE

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 04:08:20 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org>wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Sorry for this slightly off-topic email, but since JBuilder folded I've
> been lost.
>
> I have tried and tried and TRIED to like Eclipse, but after years of
> trying, I'm giving up.  My conclusion is that Eclipse barely functions when
> I finally get all the disparate pieces and tools updated and configured how
> they're supposed to be.  It's sad.  It's a great concept, but in practice,
> it does not compare to a commercial tool integrated and packaged by a single
> organization-- which I fear is the same for our software sometimes.
>
> But anyway, I'll end my rant and reflection at that.
>
> Can anyone suggest a new tool for me to try?  I'm considering NetBeans,
> only because I know of no others.

I've not tried Netbeans since I ran away crying in the 3.x days. They say
it's come a long way since then.

For years it was a 2 horse race between Eclipse and Intellij. The latter is
commercial with free licenses for OS dev.

Many people were very insistent that Intellij was waay ahead, much faster
and with a stack more features. Personally I've not found that, and bar the
crashyness been generally happy with Eclipse, but I'm probably in the
minority.

The licenses are given out on a per project basis, and I'm sure you would
qualify. IIRC I've been granted licenses for both JSword and DWR, and I'd be
happy to forward you a key if you need one. (That's the way it works - I'm
not doing anything dodgy)