[jsword-devel] Java IDE

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Wed Mar 4 15:44:41 MST 2009

Am 04.03.2009 um 21:42 schrieb Neil Short:

> I'll weigh in.
> I'm old fashioned. What ever happened to the plain-old text editor
> as a development environment.
>
> I have developed several lengthy programs in my time of being an
> Java developer and I think they are pretty nice.
>
> So when I look at code that was developed with an IDE I have trouble
> following it.
>
> There's some class that extends another class; so I want to view the
> code for the extended class. Where is it. Well, it's in a
> subdirectory. But what's in that subdirectory? Just one thing:
> another directory. What's it it? another directory. What's in it?
> Ah! There's the class!
>
> I love java; but the usual directory layout for the code is what I
> see to be a weakness of development. Developers MUST use an IDE! Gee
> Wiz.

Well, you don't have to use packages.
But for larger applications it makes structure your classes and
package certain functionality (and classes) in different folders
instead of having 100 classes in one folder with a mixture of
Interfaces, Enums and the like.
This is part of object oriented programming.

I like coding smaller scripts or one class Java apps with a normal
Editor.
But again, for larger apps it is just faster and easier and much more
convenient to use the code-completion, see method parameter
descriptions and Javadocs right there while typing.

Manfred