[jsword-devel] Java IDE

Andy Rozman (Aleksander) andy at triera.net
Wed Mar 4 10:34:24 MST 2009

Manfred Bergmann <bergmannmd at web.de> wrote:

Hi !

To say few words here... I am working on now quite big open source projects
and using eclipse is easiest thing to do... I used Visual Slick before I
started using eclipse (it's mostly just editor, with ability to run java and
at later they added debugging stuff) and I couldn't get myself to start using
Eclipse, but after I started everything was much easier... We work with SVN
and you can have whole development environment set up in 30 minutes, which is
very little, if zou take in account that we have 6 sub projects (all part of
project), and that we are using about 15 different libraries (unpacking this
libraries is what takes most time). We require our developers to install new
Ganymede version, which is quite stable and one additional library for SVN and
then they just follow simple instructions tp get everything running...

I had no problems so far, with what I wanted to do, but I know that each tool
has its limitations...

I wanted to start using NetBeans once, but I gave up on it...

If you need something to edit .jsp files, you can use JDeveloper (from Oracle,
it's free)

So why we use eclipse... It's easy to use, gives no problems, very simple
configuration for projects (we put project files into SVN and users can just
load project from there), simple configuration for java rules (we suply thoose
also)...

If yu are before decision I advise you take each tool for test drive, but you
will need to "drive" it for at least few days, because before that you will be
resentful to it (why can it work like _insert name of previous application
here_)...

So try Eclipse, NetBeans and JDeveloper and see which you like best. But be
prepared... building GUI (desktop) is quite difficult with each of tools...
JBuilder was best for building desktop GUI...
JDeveloper will be probably best to debug JSPs (out of these 3)...

Andy