[jsword-devel] Java IDE

David Botterill david at davidbotterill.com
Wed Mar 4 10:29:11 MST 2009

Disclaimer: I work for Sun Microsystems, Inc., at least today :).  I
even used to be a NetBeans Evangelist until June of last year.  I've
been following this alias for some time and I've never replied to it
so I know my credibility isn't established.  Please understand that my
comments are coming to you as my true experiences and not some
marketing mumbo-jumbo.  I first worked for the Sun tools organization
in 2003.  I can tell you I hated NetBeans.  NetBeans was about version
3.5 at the time and it was extremely painful to use.  We even had a
guy on our team, that was developing a point product based on
NetBeans, that used Eclipse because he couldn't take it.  I started
out on the project using JBuilder but soon decided I needed to eat my
own dogfood so to speak.  Since 2003, I've first-hand experienced an
incredible transformation of NetBeans from a real miserable experience
to the incredible out-of-box experience it is today.  Sun has invested
tons of engineering resources in NetBeans.  As a NetBeans Evangelist,
I constantly gave feedback to the engineering team about what
developers wanted.  Usually the features came from Eclipse or
IntelliJ.  We especially targeted IntelliJ's incredible editing
experience as our goal.  NetBeans has really come a long way.

I would say the biggest plus you have with NetBeans over Eclipse is
the "out-of-box" experience.  In other words, you install the flavor
or NetBeans you want and you're up and running without hunting down
plugins to get working.  Yes MyEclipse uses this model for Eclipse and
that's really a bonus for developers.  BTW, I'm glad to see a brother
in a lead position at Genuitec (Brian Fernandes) :).  NetBeans has an
incredible JavaScript editor/debugger as well as PHP, Ruby, and Python
support.

NetBeans isn't perfect but it's an incredible IDE for free.  Please
feel free to ask me any questions about NetBeans.

Also, I've seen another thread talking about using a Rich Client
Platform (RCP) as a basis for Bible Desktop.  NetBeans was the first
RCP and Eclipse came along and admittedly did a better job in some
areas.  Please keep in mind that you will be stuck with SWT if you use
the Eclipse RCP.  Sun has also been investing heavily in the NetBeans
RCP and it has made huge progress as well.

Yes and someday I hope to have time to contribute to the JSword
project.  Who knows, maybe I'll download the code and get it up and
running under NetBeans soon. I know God's using JSword to have an
eternal impact on the world. :)

Cheers!
-David