[jsword-devel] BD translations

Keith Watson keith_watson at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 28 15:18:13 MST 2008

> Looking at the source code of Al-Kitab and while  thinking
> about translating it, I suddenly started to wonder again
> re BD + whether we went wrong with including application
> language choice.
>
> I think few if any people will want to mess around with
> the various application language options...

This relies on assumptions which may not by valid everywhere in the world.

The beauty of BD is it supports multiple languages.  There will be instances
where the computer on which BD is installed is shared by people who don't
speak/read the same language.  A very good way to implement internationalism
is with one copy of the software, and multiple translations of the user
interface text.  Removing the ability to tell the software which language to
use when it runs, and moving that to compile time means any computer on
which more than one language is needed will have to install multiple copies
of the software.

Regards,
Keith Watson
USA