[jsword-devel] Problems getting started / Translation of UI

Familie von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 16:59:25 MST 2007

The German translation _is_ not too good. There is no doubt about that.
The reasons are simple:

Often I did not know at the time what I actually translated - I used the
German translation to understand the process, rather than being really
focussed on it. Farsi is my focus. And often I understood the programme
only on second and third reading - at the time when I concentrated on
Farsi. Also I did not do second and third runs of editing to make sure
things are consistent.  So you are not upsetting anyone, but simply
stating the truth with what you say.

I will look at your patches and apply it in the next couple of days,


DM Smith wrote:
> Benny,
> Welcome. Any thing you can do for the project will be greatly appreciated.
>  I hastily added the FontStore for a Farsi release of BibleDesktop.
> The warning should not be made, because it is alright for the
> FontStore to not exist. I'm not sure why the default font is different
> than 1.0.7 when FontStore does not exist. I think that should be
> considered a bug.
> Yes the German translation is incomplete. I cannot say whether what's
> there is good or bad because it was done by two Germans, Manfred (who
> started the work, but now working on MacSword) and Peter (who is
> currently working on it). But your patches are welcomed. Peter has
> volunteered to oversee the Turkish translation of BD and I hope that
> he will apply these changes as well. (Otherwise, I will)
> After this week my time should free up some and I'll be able to look
> at being able to fix the "Never in English, in a German locale, even
> when English is selected." problem. I think I know why this is happening.
> Your suggestion to simplify translation is a good one. The primary
> problems today are:
> 1) Property files are scattered and it is not obvious which ones need
> to be translated.
> 2) Files contain both UI text, error text and debug text, but no
> distinction is made between them. It is not clear what has to be
> translated, what should be translated and which is probably never
> going to be seen by anyone.
> If you haven't seen it, we have a page giving an overview of how to
> participate:
> http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/devt.html
> If you haven't set up the project in Eclipse, I highly recommend it.
> You can find instructions here:
> http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/Eclipse.html
> To aide in translation the Eclipse plugin JInto is most excellent. And
> using Eclipse to generate the patches makes them easy for me to apply.
> Serving together in Christ,
> DM Smith
> On Sep 22, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Benny Wasty wrote:
>> Hi,
>> this is my first mail to the list, so a short introduction: I'm from
>> Germany and I'm currently studying Software Engineering. I know the
>> Sword Project for quite some time and have also followed the mailing
>> lists for a few months. Now I've found the time to really get
>> involved and start programming etc.
>> The first problem I have is a warning that shows up (when I compile
>> and run BibleDesktop in eclipse):
>> -----
>> 21.09.2007 00:43:57 org.crosswire.common.swing.FontStore load
>> WARNUNG: Unable to load the font store:
>> file:/C:/Dokumente%20und%20Einstellungen/Benny%20Wasty/.jsword%5CBookFonts.properties
>> -----
>> The result is that the font of the bible text is different (something
>> with serifs, and smaller, too small) compared to my installed version
>> (1.07). Anyone knows what could be the reason?
>> I started improving the German translation of the UI because it's
>> quite bad and incomplete. The attached patch contains the changes
>> (only .properties-files). It's not perfect and also not totally
>> complete, but */much /*better than the current translation...
>> The language-property-files are a bit problematic in my opinion.
>> Weren't too easy to find in the first place, there are many and
>> they're spread among quite a few directories. Would be really helpful
>> to keep the translations in one place, maybe even in one file. Adding
>> new languages would also be easier then.
>> And there's a bug with the selection of the translation:
>> I always see the German version, no matter if German or English is
>> selected in the options menu. Switching to Turkish or Persian is
>> possible though. I looked into the code and debugged a little, but
>> couldn't find anything yet. Maybe it has something do to with my
>> operating system's language being German...
>> Enough for the first mail...
>> Benny Wasty
>> <jsword_german_translation.zip>_______________________________________________
>> jsword-devel mailing list
>> jsword-devel at crosswire.org <mailto:jsword-devel at crosswire.org>
>> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/jsword-devel
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> jsword-devel mailing list
> jsword-devel at crosswire.org
> http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/jsword-devel

More information about the jsword-devel mailing list