[jsword-devel] New Release of Bible Desktop

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 08:42:54 MST 2007

I do agree with you that the way Strong's is done can be improved and
made more useful.

There is some new work going on with the Strong's lexicons. Chris Little
is working on upgrading the existing ones to show accented text in the
original languages, merging the two into one and doing this in TEI (the
markup that has been agreed in principle to be used in OSIS). I'm
working on something similar for Lockman.

The way the data is being marked up, it will be easy to pull the
transliteration and the actual Greek and Hebrew out.

Once those are in place, we will have more opportunities.

We tried making the words that it referred be links, but the problem is
that some <w> elements are of the form <w lemma="G1234 G2345" morph="a
b">translated text</w>. That is, two or more words in Greek are
translated into a phrase in English. Not sure how to represent that as a
link. Also, when we have morphology turned on, it describes the phrase
too and there can be more than one. We can't have two different links
surrounding the same phrase. So if we can figure out how to represent
that as a link (perhaps a popup?) we could go there.

The other problem we had with making the words to be the links was that
performance was horrible. I don't know if that has improved any.

I like the idea of an unchanging symbol. And making it an option to show
the actual number in a link. Likewise for morph.

-- DM