[jsword-devel] New Release of Bible Desktop

Joe Walker joe at getahead.org
Mon Jun 25 07:42:51 MST 2007

On 6/25/07, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> With regard to Strong's numbers actually showing up, I presume that you
> mean as the text of the link? Would you want the same for morphology? (This
> is just a change to simple.xsl.)
>
> When you move your mouse over them, they show the actual value in the
> status bar. I was hoping that was sufficient to make it visible. IMHO, I
> find that the larger links make the text almost unreadable. I think that
> having a popup with the actual definition would be cool. It would be like a
> tooltip in that it would automatically dismiss after a bit of time, that
> only one would be visible at a time, ....

It's just that the status bar can be turned off, and having S10 could easily
trick people into thinking that this is strongs number 10. Better would be a
letter since that would not be confused with a real strongs number, although
it would be confused with notes. With strongs numbers however they are not
referring to anything visible, so some magic unchanging symbol would be just
as useful - in fact would having the words be links themselves be the same?

Personally I tend to read from an ESV, and use the KJV as a reference for
Strong's numbers, so readability isn't paramount, and for me, the actual
numbers are useful sometimes - e.g. when looking at 'love' you can tell if
it's agapeo or phileo at a glance.