[jsword-devel] Fwd: JSword Questions

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 23:57:14 MST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: coby ingram <coby at peru.com>
Date: Sep 7, 2005 4:18 PM
Subject: JSword Questions
To: joseph.walker at gmail.com

Mr. Walker--

Just downloaded JSword. Am looking for a comparable Bible software I can run
from a CD on my work computer w/o install.

My questions are these:

Why no pulldown book and verse list on the left as in the Personal
Commentary view? Was that a preference of the developers, or are you still
working on it?

Plus, to mouse your way to a passage, it's 6 clicks. Others, e.g. e-Sword,
it's one double. I suppose I could get used to it. Doing it that way, you
have a lot of control over the display.

But--and I don't know what all Java can do--would it work to have books and
chapters expand on mouseover, like my WinMe Start|My Computer, or the Menu
bar on Explorer/Office/etc? That would be cool.

Also, I haven't tried, but it looks like you can't open books, like Bro.
Lawrence e.g., in JSword. Again, was this a preference or is it a coming
feature?

Still can't open binary offline. Tried the regular 0.9.9 download this
morning. I'd think it was something wrong with my Java, but it opens fine
with WebStart. Plus I have Java 1.4 (your link) and 1.5 (earlier download)
enabled.

window to fill after a couple three minutes (KJV/S#).

I'd appreciate your response to these curious questions; probably I will use
JSword as is and enjoy the unique tools it provides. Your service is greatly
appreciated; may it bless lots of people.

Thanks,

I'll let you get back to work.

Coby