[jsword-devel] Introduction

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 16:48:43 MST 2005

Welcome Yiguang!

Your work does not overlap ours and is most welcomed.

I don't know any way to easily search the mailing list archives except
via google. Just include jsword-devel in your search.

We don't actually return the text of verses as the result of a search
but a list of references to verses. At first this might seem like a
drawback. It is a huge resource savings as you have a lot of control
over how verses are fetched.

The search result will be a Key object which can be iterated over. Key
has a very list like interface. You can get an iterator, the number of
elements or a particular element by position. The elements returned from
the iteration are references to verses. You have a choice as to what
kind of Key to use. Typically it will be a PassageTally or a BitwisePassage.

You can subset the Key into other keys so that you can return partial
results (e.g. pages with 50 verses on them)

 From a key you can request the text or an xsl transformation of the
text. The xslt that we use within BibleDesktop creates HTML with custom
protocols. I think that changing that would be make it work for the web.

You can see examples of most of this at
http://crosswire.org/jsword/java2html/org/crosswire/jsword/examples/APIExamples.java.html.
It does not have examples of how to iterate, but I can add those if you ask.

In the context of a web, you might want to look at ways to keep from
refreshing the entire page with each request. Joe has been working on
DWR (http://getahead.ltd.uk/dwr/), which is AJAX for Java made easy and
it has just gone 1.0. This may be of use in making a website experience
very enjoyable.

Hope this is a good start. Looking forward to seeing your website!
    DM