[jsword-devel] Before 1.0

Aleksander Rozman - Andy jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:23:47 +0200

At 31.3.2004, you wrote:

Hi !

I will comment on both this comments and originla comments.

>It has been fun working on JSword. There is a lot of excellent
>architecture and code.
>
>I think that it may be good to do a .97 release as .96 does not work.
>Kind of a second beta. This way non-programmers can help us discover bugs
>to fix.
>
>Bible Desktop is fine w/ me.
>
>There is still one major startup issue, which I have not mentioned before,
>that I think needs to be tackled. The management of options needs some
>more work. What is there is excellent. I really like how it is dynamically
>built.
>
>The notion of options needs to have the notion of program defaults and
>have that reflected in the options dialog. There are some defaults that
>cannot be simply represented in a static file: such as Font, Look and
>Feel, home directory, default paths. When options are saved and no value
>is given, then it should not be saved as empty but as using the default.

Look and feel should be set to default LF for OS. Have we done anything tu
support skinlf so far? Thoose who don't know skinlf is LF management sistem
which supports multiple LF, not only just those made for it, but many
others (I think GTK, in work is supoer for Windows XP Themes, ...)

Maybe we should supply fonts with Desktop Bible (or how is new name)...

>Vines shows internal markup around verse references.
>
>2 of the Backends are stubbed out, but books for them are listed. I think
>JSword should only show books it can actually do something with.
>
>For a 1.0 release, I think the "programmer" helpers, such as debug, view
>html, osis and ghtml, need to be hidden.

Maybe we can give an option to start DB with, like -debug in which this
options will be added.

>For post 1.0, I think pdf generation via xsl-fo would be good (Apache FOP).

That would be great...

>Print. Helps definitely.

That would be good, but I think probably not so easy to achive. I have some
code that might be helpful in this one...

>Full internationalization.

Agree. As I said a long time ago, I don't think that implemnetation of I18N
in DP is good, but that is just my opinion (memory).

>Multiple download sites. Mixed language text support (like Kittel's or
>Vines). Interlinear for text having strongs numbers. Parallel texts (Bible
>|| Bible, Bible || Commentary, Bible || Dictionary) [Perhaps this is what
>you mean by the tree.]
>
>Joe Walker writes:
>>
>>Just some opening thoughts. Please comment.
>>

>>Pre 1.0
>>-------
>>

>>Have some sort of policy on how stable we keep the jsword API.

How stable? Very stable. What did you mean with this...

>>Post 1.0
>>--------
>>
>>Upgrade to OSIS 2.(whatever it is by then)

This would be great, but we will have to download and replace many of
libraries (xml stuff).

>>Other installation systems other than JNLP and the basic batch system we
>>have already.
>>
>>Other fancy HTML/OSIS renderers. It appears the JDK1.4 one is far less
>>buggy than I thought.

We need to fix rendering of some bibles. I think I noticed one mail about
that so maybe that is already fixed...

Some of my concerns:

- DP implementation: I think we should change DP implementation somewhat.
We have class for each action, instead we should put all actions together
in main DP class and make just one Action Listener. This is just memory
concern, so it's not something that we need urgent. This would be probbaly
helop with I18N, even if we keep it at current version.

I had some other things on my mind, but I forgot. Maybe in next mail...

Andy

*  Aleksander Rozman - Andy  * Fandoms:  E2:EA, SAABer, Trekkie, Earthie *
*     andy@kksonline.com     * Sentinel, BH 90210, True's Trooper,       *
*    andy@atechnet.dhs.org   * Heller's Angel, Questie, Legacy, PO5,     *
* Maribor, Slovenia (Europe) * Profiler, Buffy (Slayerete), Pretender    *
*     PGP key available      *    http://www.atechnet.dhs.org/~andy/     *