[jsword-devel] Before 1.0

DM Smith jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:56:45 -0500

It has been fun working on JSword. There is a lot of excellent architecture
and code.

I think that it may be good to do a .97 release as .96 does not work.
Kind of a second beta. This way non-programmers can help us discover bugs to
fix.

Bible Desktop is fine w/ me.

I do think it would be good to have a stable release, a definition of what
that entails and a nightly build release. I think that having a clean build
for stable releases and incremental for nightly would be good. We can have
as many jnlp releases as we want just by building them to separate
directories. I am pretty sure that WebStart manages each download location
as a separate installation.

Can we create a list of bugs or do you have one. I took a look at bugs.txt
and it seems that we have solved what was listed.

There is still one major startup issue, which I have not mentioned before,
that I think needs to be tackled. The management of options needs some more
work. What is there is excellent. I really like how it is dynamically built.

The notion of options needs to have the notion of program defaults and have
that reflected in the options dialog. There are some defaults that cannot be
simply represented in a static file: such as Font, Look and Feel, home
directory, default paths. When options are saved and no value is given, then
it should not be saved as empty but as using the default.

There are a few other bugs and "features" that I have come across.

Some of the features on the options do not seem to work. I don't remember
which. I can go through and find out what.

On the Bible installer, "delete" does not work.

View HTML does not show the true html, but a rendition stripped of all
styling. I have found it useful to see how the HTMLDocument munged up the
input, but I think it would also be useful to show the original html.

I am not sure what "View G-HTML" is, but it doesn't seem very useful.

The KJV w/ Strongs does not parse well when it shows Mat 1.1 (and lots of
other places in the NT).

Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia does not display the text in the right order.
(The font, Tahoma, is great though on Windows.) Each verse is shown RtoL,
which is correct, but the verses are ordered from LtoR. Also the verse
numbers need to be at the beginning of the verse, which is on the right, but
they are on the left. (Can't wait to load up a Greek Bible. Wish we had
Nestle/Alland!)

Vines shows internal markup around verse references.

2 of the Backends are stubbed out, but books for them are listed. I think
JSword should only show books it can actually do something with.

For a 1.0 release, I think the "programmer" helpers, such as debug, view
html, osis and ghtml, need to be hidden.

For post 1.0, I think pdf generation via xsl-fo would be good (Apache FOP).
Print. Helps definitely. Full internationalization. Multiple download sites.
Mixed language text support (like Kittel's or Vines). Interlinear for text
having strongs numbers. Parallel texts (Bible || Bible, Bible || Commentary,
Bible || Dictionary) [Perhaps this is what you mean by the tree.]