[jsword-devel] Rendering of Hebrew

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 10:31:51 MST 2004

While setting dir in an html doc should work. No where in java's
handling of html does it use the DIR attribute (it does have a constant
for it and it does parse it correctly. It just is not used anywhere)

Java supports the notion of a components orientation. When applied at
the top level of an application it changes various layout managers
ordering of elements to the requested orientation. JDK 1.4 only supports
LEFT_TO_RIGHT and RIGHT_TO_LEFT (horizontal orientations), but the java
doc discusses vertical orientations that it does not support.

Anyway, calling
applyComponentOrientation(ComponentOrientation.RIGHT_TO_LEFT)
or
setComponentOrientation(ComponentOrientation.RIGHT_TO_LEFT)
does render the html elements in their correct order.

One can dynamically get the component orientation from the language
by turning the language into a locale. This is probably the better way
to go.

So the next trick is to associate a language with each Bible (this is in
the conf, but I need to check that it is the proper abbreviation
according to ISO standard that Locale.getLocal(...) uses) and to have
the JTextPane get it from the bible.

There is a problem in the displaying of tables in html. The column
ordering is not reversed and the text is left justified, rather than
right justified. So I may need to pass the ordering into the stylesheet
and do some manipulation there.