[jsword-devel] Rendering of Hebrew

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 08:42:20 MST 2004

I am working on fixing the BHS text ordering bug listed in bugs.txt.

Currently Hebrew bibles order the characters in a verse from right to
left which is correct. The verses are ordered from left to right with
the verse number on the left of the verse, both of which are wrong.

According to HTML 4.0 (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html)
there is an inheritable block level attribute dir="rtl|ltr" which
controls this. I have tested this at by adding it to the html element.
When I view it in an external browser the verses do display in the
correct order. However, the JTextArea displays them without regard to
the element's value.

I will be doing some more looking to see what Java can do.