[jsword-devel] Changes in JSword in last few months

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 10:58:09 MST 2004

See below:

Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:

> Hi everybody !
>
> It's been long time since I been here and seen to JSword and there wer
> quite many changes. So I ahve a few question:
>
> 1. How is it possible that size of distribution is from 8Mb in 0.9.7
> come to 2.2 in 0.9.8?

Turns out we were distributing some jars that were not used. We replace
some techniques with others that were lighter.

> 2. Was XML processing removed, or are we using native XML parsing from
> JDK142?

The xml processing really has not changed much. The parsing is still
proprietary recursive descent for each of the input types
and construction of xml is via jdom. xslt is still using jdk 1.4's xalan.

> 3. Where are setting stored and bibles installed. I made my own jars
> and started from build directory installed bible and now it works, but
> as I started binary version that binary version fails to run...

These should be under ~/.jsword. Where this is depends on your OS.

> 4. Which OSIS version are we now using and where are it's classes

We are now using jdom to construct the OSIS dom directly from the
recursive decent parsing. This change was probably the biggest size savings.