[jsword-devel] Performance problem

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 10:46:10 MST 2004

I did a Passage Lookup of Gen-Rev. Kind of dumb, but I wanted to
robustly test a change I was making. Several places had a test of an
element in a JDom tree being a String. It never happens, they are of
type org.jdom.Text. So I put a break point in the code and

I had expected the following behavior:
Convert the input into a VerseRange.
Slice the verse range list into sub ranges of n verses where n is the
verse per tab number.
Display the first n verses in a tab.

I was expecting to have to click through many tabs.

I stopped it after 10 minutes, first pausing the debug session.
It was in book 28 getting the text.
So my guess is that it was going to get the entire passage and then
re-get each tab's worth.
And in the perf meter, it is pegging the system at 100% cpu and almost
all the memory I have!

I have not looked into this any further. My test was successful!